Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Whole Wheat Hamburger Casserole


OK OK... I think I have been obsessing over whole wheat lately. But it is just so dang good tasting and good for you!!! Here is a new recipe I came up with that is really tasty and can practically be cooked out of your food storage. It is simple and yummy. This is the first recipe I have come up with using wheat berries*. I must say... I LOVE them and so did the family. This casserole tastes like along the lines of a meaty spaghetti sauce dish.
Look out for a recipe using wheat berries along the lines of asian!!! I will be experimenting this week.
AND those of you who don't have whole wheat kernels in your food storage... GET some!!! You can get a cheap-o coffee grinder to make whole wheat flour out of it and use the berries for lots of great stuff.


Whole Wheat Hamburger Casserole
2-3 c whole wheat berries*
1 lb hamburger
2 ts. garlic powder
1 ts cumin
1 ts chili powder
1 c onion
1 qt jar of tomatoes (dice them up a bit), drain about 1/2 the liquid.
1/2 c diced bell pepper
2 cups spaghetti sauce (or 2 8oz cans of tomato sauce)
1 small can chopped olives
2 cups grated cheese (I used mozza)
Brown the hamburger with the onions and bell peppers. Add the wheat berries and spices. Stir in tomatoes, sauce, and olives. Simmer for about 30 minutes to thicken. Place in greased casserole dish and top with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
*wheat berries: these are basically whole wheat kernels that are cooked. It is like cooking rice... only it takes longer. To make wheat berries, use 1 cup wheat kernels and 2 to 2 1/2 cups water in a crock pot on low over night. And VOILA... wheat berries!

2 comments:

  1. Love your new blog Sheena! I have to say that I LOVED the Peanut Butter squares. Rob loves peanut butter and so he scarffed them down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really good! I can't make them very often because I too scarf them down... Not pretty for my figure!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews since Nov 1st, 2010