This is a wonderful recipe that is traditional in my family. We call them "Kraut Burgers" but many others call them "Beirocks" (BEER-OCKS). This is a CHEAP and easy meal-in-one. Kids love these and don't believe they are eating cabbage. As you can see... my daughter LOVES these things!!!
To make this a little healthier for us... YES you guessed it.... I have used whole wheat flour for the dough. In fact, I simply use my Whole Wheat Pizza Dough recipe and it works wonderful.
1 small head of cabbage
2 lbs of hamburger
1 batch of Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
onion powder or 1 onion, chopped
1) Make the Whole Wheat Pizza Dough and let it sit while you continue on.
2) Brown the hamburger in large skillet or pot.
3) Add the chopped cabbage (add onion if you choose to use it)
4) Cover and turn to low and let the cabbage steam. It will shink in volume considerably, so don't think you have too much cabbage in the pot. It will seem like a lot at first.
5) Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to your liking.
6) Separate the dough into 8 balls.
7) Roll out each ball and fill with cabbage burger mix.
9) Place on greased cookie sheet and let sit for about 15 minutes... they won't really raise much but it makes the dough softer.
10) Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
11) Make brown gravy while they are cooking
12) Cut open and pour in brown gravy!!! Mmmmm.... mine are cooking right now!!!
Source: Once again... some of the greatest Chefs I know: Grandma and Grandpa Brundage. I believe this recipe came from Great Grandma Dorthy Majer and higher up the family line.