Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread Bowls


I just whipped these up today to go with Chicken Stew!  These would be great with chowder or any thick soup!!!

Whole Wheat Bread Bowls

1 1/4 cups warm water (105-115°F)
1 Tbsp yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 c whole wheat flour
1/3 c gluten

Egg Wash:
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon milk

1)Mix together water, honey, oil, salt and yeast.  Let sit for 5 minutes. 

2)In the meantime, measure out and mix 3 cups whole wheat flour and 1/3 cup gluten. 

3)After yeast mixture starts to bubble, mix in the flour.  Knead for 5-10 minutes. 

4)Place dough in greased bowl to rise for 1 hour. 

5)Punch down dough and form into 3 balls.  Place on greased cookie sheet and cover.  Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

6)Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. So excited to try these! Your chicken stew looks different then ours, did you do something different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used some left over turkey I had in the freezer. And I didnt have any cream of celery or chicken broth, so I used a can of cream of chicken and a can of fat free evap milk. I then added everything you did. It turned out great. Next time I go shopping I will get the ingredients to make it exactly like yours, then I will post both recipes on here. Thank you for the great recipe idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had these with chicken stew the other night and they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews since Nov 1st, 2010